RARA-AVIS: Re: Please allow me to . . .

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Sep 2007

Thanks for the link. A couple of typos: Bentley and G.K. Chesterton. I think it's hard to pinpoint the origin of noir. Perhaps the utterly pessimistic point of view of Franz Kafka did not hit home until much later in crime literature; perhaps we read too much into Goodis, Thompson, et al. Loss of hope is not new in fiction. What distinguishes American noir, particularly in film, is the contrast with the optimistic outlook that dominated Hollywood and also the contrast with the purely social realistic approach (of Ford, Wyler, etc.). These noir fictions do not try too hard to be realistic, but the atmosphere and the doom they are predicated on must have seemed realistic enough to the viewers and readers. They are still potent, so they must be touching something vital. That's the magic of noir.

Best,

MrT