RARA-AVIS: Re:Joe L. Hensley, RIP

From: Karen G. Anderson ( Karenand@mac.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2007

I had the honor of reviewing Hensley's Robak in Black for January Magazine, and am a great admirer of the series. It was a mystery to me why Hensley's books never received greater recognition in the mystery field and in the hardboiled community. The voice was big, brash, and not afraid to tell the seamy side of a story. I was fascinated by the Rev. Mo Mellish -- sortoof the Midwestern counsin of Walter Mosley's Mouse character.

For me, Hensley occupies a space in the crime fiction universe near K. C. Constantine and Archer Mayor.

Sorry to hear he's gone.

Karen

--
Karen G. Anderson