Re: RARA-AVIS: Dexter

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 31 Aug 2007

I read the first book when it came out in mass market paperback. It wasn't a bad book, but I didn't feel compelled to buy the sequel, and I haven't had any interest in watching the show. I think you're interest in Dexter as a character will be directly proportional to you're interest in serial killers. I tend to find them uninteresting. They do the same thing over and over. True, that thing is killing people, but its still boring if repeated enough. I'd rather read a book about someone who kills out of passion or a desire for revenge than because they're a psycho. It has been done well, by say, Jim Thompson, but most books about serial killers put me to sleep. Even James Ellroy's serial killer book, Killer on the Road, I think it was, didn't really hold my interest, and I'm a big Ellroy gan.