Re: RARA-AVIS: The Devil and Jim Thompson

From: Lawrence Coates ( coatesl@bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Date: 26 Aug 2007

Thanks for all the responses. Since I've been on this list, I've kept a file of book suggestions, and it keeps growing. Mike makes a good point, of course, that the way Nick Corey sees himself is not the way the Jim Thompson intends us to see him.

And maybe saying Satan with a capital S was a misstatement on my part, and belongs more to horror. I think, in general, any character who acts as a tempter, inviting others to act out their inner selves, is playing a somewhat diabolical role. The tempter (or temptress?) is an archetype that is still much in use.

Lawrence