Re: RARA-AVIS: The Devil and Jim Thompson

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Aug 2007

Perhaps an assumption Corey makes about the world is that it is an array of archetypes, & people gravitating toward any particular one "become." The three figures you cite are more aligned than not in such a scenario.

----- Original Message ---- From: Lawrence Coates < coatesl@bgnet.bgsu.edu> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 2:39:33 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: The Devil and Jim Thompson

Hi all...

I recently read Pop. 1280, following the discussions of the group, and I'm wondering if someone can help me with the ending. I was all ready to accept the main character, Nick Corey, as a kind of minor demon (in the same vein as the devil who reveals himself to the middle Karamazov brother). Hence the name Nick. But then he seems to claim he is Jesus. Or Judas. Or both. Any ideas?

Also, just wondering if, in the collective experience of Rara Avians, the devil as a character showing up much in noir fiction. Having lurked for a while, I would expect people to claim "The Brothers Karamazov" as noir, and I would agree.

Lawrence www.lawrencecoates.com

____________________________________________________________________________________ Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)