RARA-AVIS: Re: Ross Macdonald vs. Elmore Leonard

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

> > For a time there in the '80s, MacDonald seemed to be even more
> > influential than Hammett and Chandler, with numerous PI writers
adopting
> > his "sins of the past" plotlines. Along with Hansen and
Greenleaf, Jack
> > Lynch and, later, Richard Barre worked that land, among many
others. As
> > did James Reasoner in Texas Wind.
> >
> T. Jefferson Parker has made a pretty good career out of it

But Parker moved beyond the Macdonald blueprint pretty quickly. His work is much more ambitious. Also,he's not nearly as hermetic as Macdonald. In Parker, there is real emotion, not just hints and suggestions. One of the writers that I always read with interest. Not too prolific, but his work is top-notch. He deserves to be better known.

Best,

mrt