Re: RARA-AVIS: Archer/Ross Macdonald

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2007

An eloquent post with which I agree almost entirely.

I will note that I don't have a problem with people analyzing the
"carpentry" of anyone's writing, and in fact I think such analysis can be productive of more than just nice papers. It can help the reader appreciate what's going on in a book, and presumably can help other writers improve their craft as well.

My note on Macdonald's similes was not intended as that kind of analysis. I did find them a little offputting at first, before he won my "sympathy" and I began to appreciate his writing better. Others have noted that they were put off by Macdonald's style, and this seemed relevant.

Stephen Burridge