RARA-AVIS: Re: Point Blank vs. The Hunter vs. Payback

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Aug 2007

This seems like a good thread to mention that my short story, "The Ghost of Dillinger," has been reprinted in a new edition of TALES FROM THE RED LION, available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Richard-Chwedyk-Cordwell-Lawrence/dp/0977985628/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6968046-5124006?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186081379&sr=1-1 1

and elsewhere.

The story pits my series character, cop Dan Sullivan, against a legendary super-gangster named "Karper."

It's an homage (which, as you know, is French for
"rip-off") to the Stark series, with a lot of inside references that Parker devotees might get (e.g. the writer of a non-fiction book about Karper that Sullivan uses for research is named "Timothy J. Culver," one of Westlake's lesser-known pseudonyms, and Culver was chosen to write this book because he was already known for writing a series of gangster novels about a a professional armed robber named
"McClain," the name of the Parker figure in THE SPLIT, the film adaptation of THE SEVENTH).

When I got the idea for the story, I wrote Westlake and asked for his permission to play in his backyard. He replied with his blessings along with the comment
"Three to one on my guy."

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433