RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Aug 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Kerry J. Schooley wrote:
>
> Noir is about our inability, collectively and
> individually, to stop behaving in ways contrary to
> what we believe, morally, legally, ethically etc.

> That's determinism. I don't see that as the main
> theme of noir. Just the opposite.

Consider, also, that man is asleep. If man could see himself and reality for what they really are, a lot of literature that is now considered realistic would become weird fantasy. For example, many war criminals, including a bunch of Germans in WWII, simply cannot face what they have done. They cannot say "I did so and so", period, without any "buts". What that ability for self-deception (which is being asleep), all sorts of noir characters become possible, including those of psycho noir novels and films, like Ripley, for example. If there were no similarity to any actual human being, Ripley would not have been viable as a character. Once you allow real reality to be nuanced and distorted by "buts", Ripley is recognizable, not as an admirable character, but as a plausible one. I bet if you interviewed him he "would have his reasons".

Best,

mrt