RE: RARA-AVIS: Neo-Nah

From: Anders Engwall ( anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 29 Jun 2007

While I agree with Kevin's initial post to a certain degree, I don't think BLOOD MERIDIAN the novel belongs here. It's more like a fictionalized account of an actual genocide, except as told by the perpetrators. In a sense, it has more in common with Dee Brown's BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE or Adam Hochschild's KING LEOPOLD'S GHOST than any fiction. Both of those works are highly recommended, btw.

On the other hand, an adaption of BLOOD MERIDIAN, if it turns out to be a hit movie, may actually have the effect that Jack fears. Kinda like A CLOCKWORK ORANGE way back when.

From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jack Bludis Sent: den 29 juni 2007 22:17 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Neo-Nah

[.] I'm not sure many reader's are "getting off on it." But I've read enough about Cormac McCarthy's *Blood Meridian* here to let me know that I don't want to read it. That in spite of liking *No Country for Old Men* and thinking that
*The Road.* is the best book I've read since college.

If some of the things mentioned here with *Blood Meridian* go to film, I supsect we'll have a spate of copycat events with the criminal element of society.