RARA-AVIS: Crime thrillers and adventure

From: m23to53 ( library.john@virgin.net)
Date: 23 Jun 2007

I am currently compiling bibliographies of the fiction British 'library' publishers. As part of this I would like to categorise the fiction - by the categories we use in the library here - crime, adventure, romance etc. To do this I need to get something clear in my mind and hope that someone can help me do so. Is there some definite boundary between crime and adventure. Adventure novels can involve crimes, but what makes it an adventure rather than a crime novel. And where does a thriller fit in this? This is important as I doubt I am not going to be able to see many of the titles I am listing (many titles published by library publishers went to libraries and have long since been pulped etc,). If a book is descibed as a thriller, is there any rule of thumb I can apply? Are they usually crime or adventure? or would be a case of 'tossing a coin'? I was thinking of adding thriller as a category, but decided not to as it could confuse things even more. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Duane for your help on my LOC query. It solves my question pretty well.

Regards John