RARA-AVIS: Re: Huckleberry Finn

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Been a long time since I read this. It was definitely
> worth rereading, especially after just finishing
> Cooper's Last of the Mohicans, which helped establish
> a certain context to it.

A context only in that Twain and Cooper were coeval. Their literary worlds are very far apart. Twain was conscious (as few before) of the process of writing, every nuance of it. As far as American writing goes, you could say he wrote the book on it. I do think Hemingway was right in his assessment of Twain's place (at the top).

I reread Huckleberry Finn about three years ago and I found it even more splendid than before, infinitely rich if you will allow the cliché® It's too bad that this great book has become the subject of controversy in schools. What stupidity... Everyone should read it.

Best,

MrT