RARA-AVIS: My Man Manchette

From: vagrantpacific ( pacificvagrant@gmail.com)
Date: 14 Jun 2007

Just read 3 to Kill. Thought it was fantastic. The narrative was all over the place but I'm thinking that's why the French got so hot for it, found it so freeing. This is probably the first existential noir/crime book I've read where the tag didn't just mean lit or pretentious and vague. What I really dug was the realism. People I read today who dip into these waters seem so stylized and comic-bookish. I wonder if it's possible that modern noir - stuff that's not just playing with the same old bells and whistles - lives now somewhere outside of the noir neighborhood?

adam