Re: RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jun 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:

<<At every turn, at every page there are discoveries, elipses, retractions, advances, flashes of humour, dark thoughts, and all in such a volatile and yet economical, almost mumbled language...and it¹s all sustained by the relentless references to a pantheon of writers, of quotes embedded in the story, weaved into the preceeding and following paragraphs...high art, totally jubilatory...it makes you cringe with pleasure literally (as good crime novels should)...I had not experienced this for many months since the flash of lightning >>

I could do without the relentless reference to a pantheon of writers. Bruen is undoubtedly very good,but at times I sense an overeagerness to tell too many things at the same time (about self and about the story). Ellroy did something like that, to excess, to great excess.

Best,

MrT