RARA-AVIS: Re: Coward/Criminal

From: caroli1975 ( karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Jun 2007

Jumping in here -- I just re-joined this list, after an absence of a few years, and it was actually because of "Criminal."

(1) It's great. Brubaker is one of the top writers in comics today;
"Coward" is a well told and well-paced story, a great combination of writing and art, a heist story that's never quite what you think it is, without being needlessly complex. It's well-worth buying and reading in graphic novel form. That said --

(2) If you have access to a good comics store, I highly recommend getting the individual issues. It's not much more expensive, if any
(I don't know what they're selling the trade for, but it might even be cheaper -- $3 for a single issue, 5 issue arcs) and the back pages of the comics contain great articles and discussion about crime fiction, films, etc. It reminded me of when I used to read Rara-Avis, actually, which motivated me to rejoin.

I can't rave enough about this book!

-Carrie