RARA-AVIS: The Guns of Heaven by Pete Hamill

From: e_lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Apr 2007

Pete Hamill's The Guns of Heaven, first published in 1983, reminds me of the Irish troubles all over the news back then. The story concerns Sam Brisco, a middle-aged, hard-nosed reporter from New York City. He clashes with a religious cult and the IRA in an assassination plot. The action sequences and fight scenes are crisp and realistic. I enjoyed reading Sam's ruminations on the Irish struggles and his own take on it all. Hamill's prose is accessible while stylish. A top-notch entry in the HHC reprint series.

Congratulations to Charles, as well.

Ed