Re: RARA-AVIS: looking for a book

From: Victoria Two ( msvictoriatwo@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2007

Both Grafton's character and the original character are women. Both scenes are at night and Grafton's woman is nude. I do not recall if the other was nude also but might have been. Grafton's character leaps from a retaining wall at a marina and I think the original may have jumped from a pier behind a building. In both cases the suicide by sea comes at the end of the book and closes out the plot.

  I have a really strong sense of having read the same scene with minor changes but can not place it by the time in my life or anything related to a story, although it was probably about sailing.

  And this powerful sense of deja vu leads to a question -- how often are books re-written by other authors? I am not talking about plots in general as there are only so many, but rather specific details. This is the first book that has given me the feeling of having read it before with different names and hair colors. And to be clear, I am NOT accusing Grafton of plagiarism. I am only asking if others recognize similarities which I have been too dense to have picked up previously.

  Thanks for the reply,
  Victoria

BaxDeal@aol.com wrote:
  In a message dated 4/14/07 6:11:12 PM, msvictoriatwo@yahoo.com writes:

> A woman diving into the ocean to swim to her death is very similar to
> another mystery by someone other than Grafton.

Roger Wade in The Long Goodbye

John Lau

--------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.