Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Talented Mr. Ripley

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Apr 2007

Jim, "evil" is too metaphysical a term for me. One person's "evil" is often the perpetrator's self-preservation, patriotism, or expedience. If a person makes the determination that "justice" (another word I have problems with) is impossible through "the system," (not exactly a stretch of imagination to decide that!) one may take it upon one's self to meet out discipline personally. For example, was it "evil" for the US Government to forge documents about nuclear arms to back up their decision to go to war in Iraq and to impose this fraudlent information on the US Senate at a time when the country was in a mind-set of abject terror? My argument is that it's insane to do this, but evil? No, they believed the end justified the means. As it turns out, they were wrong even about that! Just as the perpatrators of the 9/11 attacks, whoever they were, were "evil." They apparently believed that The United States was imposing on their governments and who's to say? The word "evil" belongs in horror stories and theological texts, not in reasonable discussions of real-life problems. It's too prejudicial; an absolute negative. No one, however bad they may seem, actually starts their action to do
"bad," because inevitably the bad returns to them, and they know it however crazy they may be. They reason they're doing "good," but come up against a problem in which they feel justified in making an extreme act. Like the bankrobber who appologizes politely while holding the teller at gun point, "I've never done anything like this before, but I'm so strapped for cash." That's why Ripley, Hannibel Lechter and most of the fictional villians become more and more the protagonist as we get to know them better and understand their motives.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097