RARA-AVIS: Lawrence Block, satirical songwriter

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 02 Apr 2007

I picked up a new CD, Dave Van Ronk, The Folkways Years (1959-1961). Although lot of the songs are blues or jazzy numbers, the connection to our list is perhaps not immediately obvious. The musician's liner notes, however, provide a link.

"Georgie on the I.R.T. By Lawrence Block, now a distinguished mystery novelist, but back then just a bum like everybody else. As a satirical songwriter Larry has few equals and no superiors."

I was surprised, although I suppose you hardcore Block fans aren't.

Karin