Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Mar 2007

Thanks for your comments, Brian. It seems to me, however, in the very best of these stories the
"villians" are so complex as to make the reader actually identify with them...and they're almost always the protagonists. Note: The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, The Killer Inside Me, The Grifters, Recoil. Also Mitchum's character Jeff in the movie, Out of the Past. I could go on. These protagonists, while some are absolutely evil, and all do the "wrong" thing, leave the reader considering the factors that drove them to these poor choices. Shutter Island takes the reader in a similar direction. Here, though, the psychotic break is so complete that the protagonist really does not know the difference between reality and wishful fantasy. The Killer Inside Me's protagonist is a psychotic, but his psychosis tells him that the rules in the real world are there just for show; that people like him do not have to follow them, in fact are suckers if they do follow them. Murderer Dennis Rader is this type of psychotic. Such psychosis is much more comprehensible than the total break described in Shutter Island. Unfortunately, this total break is becoming more common in crime and psychology. Example, murderer Andrea Yates. I think it was well worth Lehane's effort to explore this kind of problem, and I, personally, thought he did it very successfully.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ It's here! Your new message! Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/