RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 12 Feb 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: jimdohertyjr To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: 2/11/2007 6:28:26 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

> But he still gets the last shot in. Isn't that good for something?

He commits a murder. You're right. That's absolutely true to Chandler's character. NOT!

He kills a man who has brutally beaten his wife to death, escaped to Mexico and made Marlowe his fall guy. He kills a man who would certainly kill him if Marlowe tried to drag him back across the border to civilized justice. Marlowe's disgust when he says he saw the photos of the murder scene and Sylvia's condition tells us all we have to know about where his heart is. And just because Marlowe doesn't allow Terry to fire first, like Bogart does with Canino (who he pretty much sets up to be tricked and slaughtered), doesn't mean he has made a huge leap away from Chandler's creation. It just means the story is taking place in a modern world for the time the movie was made.

> That movie is good evidence that Altman was right.
>
> It's tolerable, but pedestrian.

It's evidence that Altman was wrong. It's highly entertaining and unpretentious.

You sir, are very easily entertained.

> [It's OK with me] may be [Marlowe's] mantra through most of the
film, but by the end I think we all understand that it WASN'T okay with him.

If it takes 'til the end before we realize that he was speaking ironically, then he's not very good at irony (unlike Chandler's Marlowe). Chandler's Marlowe, the Marlowe Altman was obliged to put on the screen but didn't, wouldn't have let himself get pushed around the way Gould's Marlowe did.

JIM DOHERTY

Perhaps. But in the 70s that would mean he'd have to be dead by the third or fourth reel. It would be a little hard to believe that Marlowe could "push back" against five or six thugs and survive. Especially if one of them was the Terminator. And most of us knew he was speaking ironically from the very beginning. The bullet was just an exclamation mark. One that I would think would guarantee clarification for the few confused stragglers out there who hadn't gotten it yet.

TL