RARA-AVIS: Re: can noir writers advocate social reform?

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Nov 2006

Kerry you guoted me:

>> ... but I would add that sometimes the noir character
that draws him into the vortex where of doom.<<

And said: "I know we disagree on this Jack, but to me this is tragedy (the observation above, not the fact that we disagree, sad though it is.) The protagonist would or could succeed but for a tragic flaw of some sort. But I think noir actually precludes the possibility of transcendence. She/he is doomed"

Kerry, note that I said: "*sometimes* the noir character has been moral and has had integrity right up until the point that he or she becomes obsessed or has a need that draws him into the vortex ..."

By my definition, noir=doomed, and yes, most of doomed by a character flaw, but note that I said "sometimes."

Yes, even in the *sometimes,* there is a character flaw, but who among us is perfect. And remember, the writer created these characters and therefore, their flaws, minor though they may be, like the need for survival like in the case of Harry Morgan (To Have and Have Not.)

I'm not even sure we disagree. In noir, as I see it, transcendence is impossible -- or it's not noir. This is why I reject Marlowe and Spade as noir--except Marlowe in
*Poodle Springs." Like what I've read of Ross McD's Lew Archer, that last Marlowe is one sadly miserable son of a bitch, even at the end.

Jack Bludis

PS: It's funny, even in a medium like an e-mail list, we can talk back and forth, look over our words before we hit
*send,* and still not know that we *may be* saying the same thing--or something damn close to it.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited