Re: RARA-AVIS: can noir writers advocate social reform?

From: al_guthrie65 ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 27 Nov 2006

A Woolrich protagonist can be doomed simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Several Day Keene and John D. MacDonald protagonists are also the victims of circumstance. A Goodis protagonist is doomed from the moment he's born, although it can take him a few years to figure that out. . And I'm sure there must be a host of noir protagonists who are doomed as a result of moral actions. Anybody think of any noir protagonists who get screwed as a result of a good deed? That's about as noir as it gets, I'd have thought.

Al

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison