Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: can noir writers advocate social reform?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 26 Nov 2006

miker wrote:

"The Frankfurt school despised the pulps and the hardboiled and noir genre as lowbrow capitalism."

With very few exceptions (in fact, I can only think of some Walter Benjamin off the top of my head, and I'm not convinced his "Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" is nearly the endorsement of the death of aura that some make it out to be), the Frankfurt School despised just about anything that was popular, associating it with Nazi Volks art. Adorno particularly abhored popular culture.

Mark