Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:can noir writers advocate social reform?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Nov 2006

I don't really agree with you here, Jim. Noir concerns the nature of the hero. Sam Spade and Philip Marlow are hard boiled characters. They may not be 100% in line with the police. They may be rebels in the face of authority. But they are always on the side of
"good." They may be indiscreet, but they will never fail to out a killer even if they love her. Noir characters, on the other hand, are morally of a different stripe. The characters in Jim Thompson and James M. Cain's work are perfectly disposed to do evil if they encounter the right woman or the wrong opportunity. Amorality, not atmosphere, is the heart and nature of noir. Amorality is a socio/political problem. Noir always poses a question of the right direction to take, and the fruits of the easy decision.

Patrick King