RARA-AVIS: Re:Jack Palance, RIP

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Nov 2006

Brian,

Re your post below:

"I have always thought that dark hair aside, Palance looked the part of Hammett's portrayal of Sam Spade: all angular planes and high cheek bones, sort of like a 'blonde Satan.' Now, Bogart made the role his own, no question (and I yield to no one in my admiration of Bogey, Huston and that glorious movie they made), but I've always thought that Palance would have been a terrific Sam Spade."

Interesting thought, particularly considering that Palance DID play a Bogart role, Roy Earle in I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES, the remake of HIGH SIERRA.

JIM DOHERTY