RARA-AVIS: Re: Jack Palance, RIP

From: Edward Pettit ( epetti01@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "e_lynskey" <e_lynskey@...> wrote:

> One of the old-time, tough guys.
>
> Ed Lynskey

Three great Palance noir films:

Sudden Fear Panic in the Streets I Died a Thousand Times

And I love this story (which I just learned):

Palance was Marlon Brando's understudy for the original Elia Kazan production of Streetcar Named Desire. One day Brando and Palance were working out on the heavy bag in the basement of the theatre. Palance
"accidentally" missed the bag and busts Brando right in the nose. Brando goes to the hospital for treatment. Palance takes the stage as Stanley Kowalski.

Now that's a tough guy's way to break into acting: punch the lead in the face and then take his job. Palance went on to star in the touring production of Streetcar.

Ed Pettit

The Bibliothecary, a daily blog featuring links to the best and most interesting essays, articles and reviews of books and literary life. http://www.omnigatherum.com/BibliothecaryBlog.html
<http://www.omnigatherum.com/BibliothecaryBlog.html>