RARA-AVIS: No Subject

From: SiShu@aol.com
Date: 27 Oct 2006

Michael Robinson asked if I read in the genre as well as write it. First off, a confession. I never know whether a novel I'm writing will be called noir or a mystery or the wide-open term of crime-novel. As anyone who's read my Anyone's My Name has surely suspected, I spent a number of my early years writing for true-detective magazines, often two and sometimes even three a month under different names. And I came out of that experience with a number of feelings that have powered my novels, including what the hell do I really know about crime--and "there but for the grace of God go I." As for my reading, it goes all over the place. My favorite recent noir reads are Dave Zeltserman's Fast Lane, Duane Swierczynski's Wheel Man, and, again, Goodis' Shoot the Piano Player.

Seymour Shubin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: