Re: RARA-AVIS: Grapes of Wrath

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2006

I have read Grapes. But I've reread Of Mice and Men years after school and enjoyed it. I saw a stage adaptation Of Mice and Men in Ankara, Turkey. Though I don't speak a word of Turkish, it was easy, even for me, to follow the play's action from remembering the plot. I'll give Grapes a try. Thanks for the post, miker.

Ed

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Finished The Grapes of Wrath yesterday. I've wanted to
> read it for years. For my tastes, it could have been
> shortened a hundred pages or more without detracting
> from the story. I thought the generic chapters could
> have been left out altogether. The implication seemed
> to be that the story itself was incapable of carrying
> the meaning, which was not true. They reminded me of
> the whaling essays that Melville sandwiched into Moby
> Dick.
>
> It was still a spectacular story. Wonderful
> characters. No doubt in my mind as to the Marxist
> intent. No ambiguity there. Much better done than the
> didactic rhetoric in Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, and
> at least as good as Dos Passos's first in his trilogy.
>
> miker

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: