RARA-AVIS: noir writers on McCarthy

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 07 Oct 2006

I wonder if any contemporary noir writers have commented on Cormac McCarthy's work, either _No Country for Old Men_ or earlier, more widely-ranging stories. Contemporary noir writers might have comments on McCarthy's novels: the violence and where it comes from, the reality checks and the debunking of myths and shrines, the 19th century underworld of the American city are all noirish, as is the poetic, emotional intensity of McCarthy's descriptions. I suppose only contemporary novels can be as explicitly, clinically violent as McCarthy is. He's a hard-boiled Homer, according to his supporters, with the devil at his elbow, they say, but might spoil one's taste for Tex-Mex cuisine. No one gets out alive, that's for sure. Lots of savages but no noble ones (sounds like US presidents from Texas).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)