RARA-AVIS: Lights Out

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 05 Oct 2006

Just finished Lights Out last night and I must say this is Jason's best novel by far. When you read it you're reminded about all the things you love about his novels especially the lives of the protagonists spiraling out of control and the feeling that all the characters are doomed in the best noir tradition.

The dialogue is authentic (although I have to admit I've been out of Brooklyn for almost ten years). He deftly handles a whole host of characters, switching back and forth among viewpoints and writing overlapping scenes from different perspectives. It is technically brilliant.

The few problems I had with the book were minor and, like with Bust, were related to the gunplay in the book. NYC Cops shoot at three guys, two of whom are armed and only the unarmed guy ends up dead--shot in the back.

All in all I really recommend it. Thanks for another great one, Jason!

Jeff

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: