Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Marxism

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 05 Sep 2006

At 01:52 PM 04/09/2006 +0100, you wrote:

>Rob, surely every screenwriter on The Wire or Deadwood can't have the same
>'social assumptions.'?

Haven't seen the series, yet, but from what I've heard I gather that the writers generally agreed, quite consciously, that there was a lot of swearing going on in the old west, and that it is worthwhile to bring this to the attention of arm-chair television historians.

> What about co-authored novels -- James Patterson's 'social assumptions'
> or the guy who writes the novel from Patterson's spec? What about books
> written under house names -- can you tell the various authors apart by
> their different 'social assumptions'? What about Eric Knight, who wrote
> LASSIE, and, under the name Richard Hallas, also wrote YOU PLAY THE BLACK
> AND THE RED COMES UP -- same 'social assumptions'? What about multiple
> viewpoint narratives, where the 'social assumptions' differ from
> character to character -- how do you know which 'social assumption' (if
> any) is the author's?

In order to debate any issue, at least two parties must agree the subject is worthy of discussion. I think that would be a common social assumption. Supporters of opposing teams watch a football game on telly. Do they not share the common social assumption that this is an enjoyable way to pass the time?

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com