RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane Panel

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2006

Richard,

Re your message below:

"By the way, I will be in Madison for the Bouchercon and am on a panel that will discuss Mickey Spillane. Jim Doherty is another member of our group on the panel. I'm about to reread ONE LONELY NIGHT, which was one of my favorite Spillane's and I picked up a copy of one of the last Mike Hammer novels BLACK ALLEY to read for the first time."

For those of you interested, the panel's scheduled for Thursday, 28 Sept, at 3PM.

I'm doing some homework, too. I'm reading a number of the short stories, re-reading THE TWISTED THING (the eight Hammer published, but actually the second Spillane wrote), reading THE LAST COP OUT for the first time, and reading a few writers, like Prather, Dundee, and Stephen Marlowe, who've been strongly influenced by Spillane.

By the way, I've recently been asked to contribute a regular column on hard-boiled/noir to Mysterical-E. It's called "I Like 'Em Tough."

The first column's posted in their latest issue. I'd originally planned to just write a little introductory piece, but decided to make it a Spillane obit, instead. If you're interested, you can read it here:

http://www.mystericale.com/index.php?issue=current_issue&body=file&file=like_em_tough.htm

I've got a short story called "Stench" in the same issue. You can find it here:

http://www.mystericale.com/index.php?issue=current_issue&body=story&file=stench.htm

JIM DOHERTY