Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: corpses

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 02 Sep 2006

At 02:16 PM 01/09/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>What hard-boiled/noir did (and this is not to say that
>there were NEVER traditional mysteries that did the
>same thing) was create people you could believe in, so
>that when they killed, or were killed, you could
>believe the reasons for the deaths.

Motivations with which readers could identify because we've felt them and been tempted ourselves?

The puzzle and other traditional Brit mysteries usually involved the upper classes in some way. They were the important folks, and essential to make the yarn credible in a class society.

Then along come the Yanks who make the stories credible to the guy on the street. Democracy at work, no?

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com