RARA-AVIS: corpses

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 31 Aug 2006

As we all know, Chandler wrote that Hammet "gave murder back to the kind of people that commit it for reasons, not just to provide a corpse."

I was reading the obit of Joseph Stefano when I ran across his comment about adapting Psycho: "Bloch's novel started with Marion Crane arriving at the motel and immediately being killed. My feeling was that, since I did not know anythign about this girl, I wasn't going to cae about her when she was killed. So we backed the story up a bit and learned something about her so that when she was killed, it would have more impact."

As we all know, Chandler wrote that Hammet "gave murder back to the kind of people that commit it for reasons, not just to provide a corpse." The above strikes me as ancillary to that: hardboiled/noir gave corpses back their lives, so they were real people, not just puzzle pieces.

Mark