Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 31 Aug 2006

Al wrote:

"The 'hooligans' don't use baseball bats, though. They're more into blades. And Samurai swords."

Samurai swords? Wow, that's the kind of detail that would make me skeptical of a book's world being real, unless the author was going for over the top (in other words, I'd believe it in Bruen's Brant series). Truth is stranger than fiction.

"Yes, naturally I've received impressions of American culture from reading American fiction. I'm not suggesting that that doesn't happen. Readers interpret, like I said. Reality is subjective. Surely fiction must be too."

True, but I have trouble believing that an author believes his books to be totally up to the reader. Do you really not have an ideal reading in mind? Do you really not hope that a reader's understanding will be at least close to your intended meaning?

Mark