Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Aug 2006

Al wrote:

"Incidentally, the examples of the use of the baseball bat you refer to are not atypical. No baseball is played in Scotland and we have virtually no exposure to the sport on television. Baseball bats typically serve only one purpose in this dark corner of the planet. They're also the weapon of choice among enforcers."

Where do they buy them? Is there that much of a hooligan market that regular stores stock baseball bats?

But this kind of makes my point about fiction carrying culture. Rightly or wrongly, I've learned things about Scottish culture from you, Rankin, Irvine Welsh, Gordon Legge, James Kelman, etc. You're clearly well read in American noir. Haven't you learned things about, or at least gotten impressions of, the USA from your fiction reading?

Mark