Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: david david ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Aug 2006

as the (at least) fourth and newest vegetarian on the list, i think this is a good time to chime in. first, maybe it's soymilk on that grocery list-- now there's a moral but definitely not entertaining choice (if by entertaining one means tasty). the handcuffs would help if one wants to get the kids to drink it.

does fiction entertain or teach? one way to approach this is to ask a different question: under what conditions does it become possible for the terms
"entertain" or "instruct" to enter discourse? every instance of relationship between writer and reader is so context bound, so saturated in complexity, possibility, and power relations, that defining what we even mean by "entertaining" may be just as useful
(or useless) as trying to figure out what we mean by
"moral." in other words, entertainment is another name for the sanctioned fetishization of codes and commodities backed up by the threat of force: the right to tell stories, to distribute them, to consume them, the very existence of what we call fiction is the political fabrication of the individual, of property, the reinvention of the state. if by moral, we mean contributing to the social construction of sanctioned behaviors, then storytelling is, of course, always already moral by virtue of the nature of its social production. and this, friends, is how i was trained to write in grad school. sounds seductive doesn't it? fuck it. i'm with Al. i want a book full of sex and danger, rain-soaked streets, whiskey, ambiguity, and a big fat question mark hovering over everything like the eye of a dead god. (sings) that's entertaaaainment!!