RARA-AVIS: Re: Kent Nelson

From: Steve Lewis ( stevelewis62@cox.net)
Date: 26 Aug 2006

>Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:47 am (PST)
>

>Have just come across the odd reference on the internet (I think an
>Amazon reviwer is the primary source) to the fact that Barry Gifford
>apparently wrote 'The straight man' as Kent Nelson.
>Hubin's 'Crime Fiction' lists Nelson as a pseudonym. If it is, is the
>Gifford attribution correct?
>
>Thanks
>John

John

I don't know if anyone replied to this before now, but just in case no one did, Al Hubin inquired of Barry Gifford and received this reply, which he forwarded on to me.

                         Best

                          Steve

Barry Gifford informs me that he did not write The Straight Man.
"Kent Nelson" is, however, a nom de plume. Mr. Gifford did edit the novel for the Black Lizard series. The Black Lizard Kent Nelson is not to be confused with the contemporary literary novelist of the same name. Mr. Gifford kindly requests you pass this information on to others who may possess the erroneous belief that he wrote The Straight Man.

Yours sincerely,

Oscar Bucher Assistant to Barry GIfford