RARA-AVIS: Re: Name Your Poison

From: davividavid ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2006

Kevin is so right. Realism is a narrative strategy, definitely in fiction, and even in non- fiction, since writing is representational and selective (comprised of poisons?). UC Prof. John Carlos Rowe has written smartly about realism as strategy in (fiction & non-fiction) representations of the Vietnam War, for anyone interested.

If Jacques' question is posed in relation to the difference between today's actual PI versus the actual PI of the 1930s-40s, it is a pretty interesting question. maybe today's successful PI is hosting the TV show "Cheaters"--or web hosting. I met a crime writer who spent decades working in a homicide dept. but i couldn't get into his books, so a search for the authentic in fashioning a detective seems to me less important than mastering the craft of good storytelling. still, good research partnered with good writing can help the popcorn go down easier.