RARA-AVIS: Re: Double Indemnity review

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2006

Today's New York Times has a mini-review by Dave Kehr of Double Indemnity
(prompted by today's DVD release) that may be of some interest. Kehr is never given much space for his DVD appraisals, but he makes good use of every word. Here, he sums up film noir as "a collision between the visual conventions of German Expressionism and the lurid plotting of the American pulp novel," before covering much of early film noir history in only a sentence of two. His comments about "Indemnity" and Billy Wilder's preference for literary substance over film style seem well thought out, but I can't say I agree with him that MacMurray was "over-his-head."

Sorry that I can't provide the site address. It goes on for far too many characters. But it should be easy to access by going to the New York Times, today's edition, Movies, and New DVDs: Double Indemnity.

Dick Lochte