RARA-AVIS: Plea for Help

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2006

I received this e-mail from Dr. Toni Johnson-Woods today. She's currently in Japan, looking at a collection of Carter Brown's books there and interviewing Japanese fans of his work. Anybody able to help with her query?

Bill Crider

I am currently writing a book on Carter Brown and am seeking some input from people who might have read him. It is difficult trying to piece together the culture for which he wrote 50 years after the fact. If you know anything about him or his writing or how it was received I would appreciate any input. I have done the basic research, I read his autobiog, read about 30 of his books, checked the Signet archives in New York, read all Anthony Boucher's reviews in the NY Times. if you have any other suggestions or know of anyone who knows of him or his time at Signet I would be more grateful. I am particularly keen to know who his agent was...he mentions a John Tiffany Elliott -- but I don't know if he was an independent lit agent or worked for one of the larger agencies. I also know he and Mickey Spillane appeared on tv and Spillane had a go at Yates...but that's about it.