Re: RARA-AVIS: The undependable narrator

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 16 Aug 2006

I haven't read Sailcloth Shroud but I do love unreliable narrators. Handled carefully, it opens up a new dimension on a book and gives you a lot more on that character (there's nothing worse, for me, than a clever story with a bunch of boring or underdeveloped characters).

What I don't like are narrators who deliberately withhold information purely for the purposes of tension and mystery etc. That's the writer's job, not the narrator's. (Unless the narrator claims to be the writer, with a writer's concerns about craft etc, in which case you have a pseudo-autobiography kind of affair.) I like an unreliable narrator should be that way because of psychological reasons, not artistic. This is all going a bit meta.

Charlie Williams.

charliewilliams.net

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison