RARA-AVIS: DEADWOOD in AMERICAN HERITAGE

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Aug 2006

Those of you who are DEADWOOD fans might be interested in an interview with series creator David Milch in the latest issue of AMERICAN HERITAGE.

In addition to discussing the historical background of the series, the article draws comparisons between DEADWOOD and Hammett's RED HARVEST, as well as another hard-boiled and (for its time) ground-breaking western that has been mentioned here recently, GUNSMOKE.

While I'm on this subject I'll take the opportunity to ask Jim Beaver a question. Since your character, Whitney Ellsworth, represents a particular TYPE of character but has no actual historical counterpart
(like Bullock, Swearingen, Hickok, and Jane), I've often wondered if the choice of name is a coincidence.

But having recently discovered that you wrote the IMDb bios of Jack "Jimmy Olsen" Larson and John "Perry White" Hamilton, I'm compelled to ask if your character's name is a deliberate tip of the hat to a certain comic book writer/TV producer.

JIM DOHERTY