RARA-AVIS: Re: My word usage

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Aug 2006

Juri,

Thanks. I don't disagree with you about the Thompson factor--there were times when I must've subconsciously been apeing Thompson, other times when I was able to slip into my own voice. I wrote this one something like 14 years ago and it was the first serious writing effort I attempted--I did try writing a few short stories before this but never seriously for publication. Some of the writing in this book makes me cringe now when I look at it, but overall most people who read it seem to like it, although some have been appalled-
-you can't please everyone. I do think the book offers an interesting dconstruction of the hardboiled PI genre. Anyway, I have a book coming out next year by Serpent's Tail, Small Crimes, which bears no resemblance to Jim Thompson (not that that would be a bad thing--no writer who I have enjoyed more), and I think anyone who reads Fast Lane will be surprised by that one.

--Dave

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"