RARA-AVIS: Re: Vietnam and hardboiled

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2006

Ed,

Re your comment below:

"I'm thinking the Bill Pronzini's Nameless Detective was an MP who came out of the Vietnam experience. I want to read more in that series, particularly the early ones."

Pronzini's Nameless WAS an MP but he came out of the WW2 experience. After the war he joined the SFPD, then left after several years to open his own agency.

When Pronzini first started the series in the late
'60's he conceived of the character as already being middle-aged, say late 40's/early 50's (Pronzini was still in his 20's, so this was probably a way to distance himself from his character).

As time went by, and Nameless aged at a much slower rate than normal (he's now admitting to 60, I think), references to his WW2 service were gradually dropped.

JIM DOHERTY