Re: RARA-AVIS: Vietnam and hardboiled

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2006

--- "E.Borgers" < webeurop@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net :
> > I still haven't read him, but didn't Kent Anderson serve in
> Vietnam?
> > Wasn't his Sympathy for the Devil a Vietnam novel?
> > Mark
> >

> Absolutely. And "Sympathy for the Devil" is a real must read.
> It's
> partly a report of Anderson's experience in the special forces
> during
> the Vietnam war. Powerful and haunting novel, noir as hell.
> On the other hand Anderson is the writer of this great noir
> novel:."Night Dogs", wherein a Vietnam veteran tries to adapt
> "normal" life as a street cop in a big city.
>
> I wonder if Anderson's still writing fiction?

Right. How could I forget? I read NIGHT DOGS a couple of years ago. Loved it. Strong storyline and a great character. The openining paragraphs with the dogs capture the true spirit of the rest of the novel. I haven't read SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL. Also curious, I googled KA awhile back. IIRC, he was/is writing another "big" fiction book.