Re: RARA-AVIS: Iain Banks

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 12 Aug 2006

miker wrote:

"I'll be damned. I didn't know Banks did non sci-fi stuff. I picked up his Feersum Injun (sp?) several years back on a whim at an airport bookstore and liked it."

It seems that Iain Banks adds his middle initial, M, to distinguish his sci-fi books.

"I read another one and liked it some. I think it was The Wasp Factory."

I've had Wasp Factory on my shelf for some time. The jacket says it's the story of a man who killed several people when he was a child.

"And then I started another one with space ships that were alive. I think that might be the Complicity that Mark mentions. I couldn't finish it."

No, Complicity definitely did not have space ships. It's a serial killer novel, shifting between second person chapters about the killer and first person chapters by the journalist who is gaining fame chronicling him and is, therefore, in complicity (as are the readers). So much so, that the police begin to suspect he is the killer. Read it a while ago, remember enjoying it quite a bit, but not quite as much as Blackburn, which I read around the same time.

Mark