RARA-AVIS: Re: Sciascia and Buzzati

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Aug 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Mario wrote:
>
> But then, I've been revisiting the likes of Leonardo
> Sciascia and Dino Buzzati, whose fiction tends to make
> everything else mundane, at least temporarily.

> One of your many talents is to every so often, about
> the time I think I've heard of them all, mention
> authors I'm totally unfamiliar with.

These are not crime writers, though Sciascia did write dark fiction. I was referring to the quality of the writing, of the imagination. The same trouble switching comes when I read a bunch of Faulkner. He spoils everything else, at least for a while. Buzzati was a very interesting writer (his novel The Desert of the Tartars was made into a great film a couple of decades ago). It's a perfect nightmare. His short stories are absolutely superb. I believe at least one collection was translated into English.

None of this is directly related to the list, but I am happy recommending good writers.

Best,

MrT