RARA-AVIS: Re: Woman Chaser;

From: Channing Kapin ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 10 Aug 2006

I don't know how "Woman Chaser" can be called
'boring.' It's a quick, taut read. I guess it's lacking in the crime and mystery department, but it's 100% noir.

As a satire of Hollywood it's pretty telling. An ace used car salesman, who specializes in manipulating people and is a master of B.S. is chewed up and spit out by the Hollywood system.

It also features Willeford's hallmark amoral protagonist who casually and indifferently inflicts pain and suffering on those around him. And it features Willeford's pitch black humor.

I didn't like the movie as much as others have. I feel that Patrick Warburton captures the humor in the character, but the movie doesn't get the noir aspects of the novel right. It's too light and frothy and there's not enough of Willeford's grit.

However, I agree it was a well-made film shot on a shoestring budget, and I applaud director Devore and everyone involved in the production for nearly getting it right. Maybe I'll watch the movie again with lowered expectations and see how I feel about it now.

Channing